1. The smell of the Girl Scout Cookie factory when I drive from Exit 2 to Exit 4 on I-29 with my windows down.
2. Mornings when I wake up early for pictures and there is so much fog on the ground that you can’t see 15 feet in front of you.
3. When the headlines in the Sioux City Journal are things like “Siouxland seniors stay active on the dance floor” or “Sioux City may ban plastic bags”. It's so innocent! And yes, that is the current local news.
4. Boating days on McCook Lake where I feel like we literally know almost everyone as we pass them, it’s such a friendly place.
5. Drinking my favorite lemonade by the glass from Coffee King on 4th street.
6. The toffee at Palmer candy, life changing burrito at La Juas, and curry at Diamond Thai.
7. Running alongside the buffalo in the mornings.
8. Walking down the sidewalks eating kettle corn and visiting all the vendors at Art Splash during Labor Day weekend.
9. My dog on the Forth of July, and then driving down Northshore Avenue the morning of July 5, before the garbage men pick up all the towers of garbage from the fireworks.
10. Spending the whole day thrifting and talking to older people who seem so surprised that I am buying old records and then continue to tell me all about the glory days.
Things I won’t miss?
1. The ridiculous construction downtown. It has taken all my favorite spots to take pictures and it is so inconvenient!
2. The smell right by where the old John Morrell hotdog factory used to be… I feel like the stench will never fade.
3. The dumb speed cameras on the interstate that everyone memorizes their location so they only go the speed limit in that area.
4. Hearing Jefferson Speedway races late on Sunday nights.