- there's a member here in laredo that likes to pull pranks. One night she went to someone's house and took all their Christmas decorations and blow-ups and set them up in their next door neighbor's yard... how awkward would that conversation be!? jaja.
- There's a song on the "This is Christmas" album by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir that sounds like Harry Potter. It's super rad.
- Some of the missionaries put on a skit for our Christmas party that was all about "It's a Wonderful Life" but put a missionary twist on it. The story line was what life would be like if George Bailey hadn't gone on a mission. It was hilarious.
- Tuesday we were talking to a man who was grilling 250 steaks for a party at his work. He went to get the box of all the meat, and when he was carrying it to the grill, the bottom caved out and all 250 steaks fell on the driveway. Sister Cano and I's hands were so bloody and gross after helping him clean it up, but we were able to save most of them!
- There was a slideshow of all the missionary's baby photos and a picture of their families at the Christmas party.
- I got a package from my brother two days ago. The wrapping was a milk carton.. i think. I can't really read Swedish.
- We tried to ding dong ditch a stocking full of goodies for Hiram. I was sitting in the car waiting for Sister Cano to put it on the door, but then it started to open. She turned around, and her face was priceless. She started running and I started driving down the road. We had left the passenger door open so she could get in quicker, but she didn't have time to get in the car so I just drove down the road with the door open. Yes, we were caught. Hiram is an ex-marine. It only makes sense. #dangit
This week I was trying to think of something to write to all of you. For some reason I couldn't do it. So I decided I would write my testimony.
I have a testimony of the prophet. I know that Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. The authority of God was restored to the earth, and the exact church that Christ established when he was on this earth is here again. Thomas S. Monson is the prophet today. He receives revelation for the church, and we can also receive our own personal revelation.
I have a testimony of the power of prayer. Missions bring out weaknesses we never realized we had, but what better place to learn to make them strengths than in an environment of 24/7 learning of God. I know that prayer works. Every morning I pray for the gift of tongues, patience, guidance, charity, humility, and understanding. There is a difference on days that I forget to specifically ask for those things. I have a testimony of the family. What a perfect plan our Heavenly Father has for us to be able to come to the world and learn, struggle, and grow to become better. My parents are the most giving people I have ever met (and I have met a lot of people..) What examples they have been, and influences in my life, especially in the time that I have been away from home. I feel like I am starting to understand how life works, and why they did the things that the did.
I have a testimony of the atonement. Missionaries need the atonement just as much as anyone does. We are not perfect, far from it. No matter how hard we try we can't do it without him. You know the scripture that says "The Lord cannot dwell in unholy temples" meaning our bodies are temples, and must be spotless to be worthy of having our Heavenly Father. The thing is, we can't be perfect here in this world, we are "temples that are under construction". They aren't perfect yet, but you can still feel the power and spirit from them. Sometimes we think there is no way we can ever become perfect, but we will. The construction time has to take awhile. You can't just build a perfect temple in a day; it wouldn't be perfect!
I love my Savior. I have been so blessed and can't express how grateful I am for the patience and love he has shown me. I am so happy to be able to work in his vineyard and help others to become truly converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I love you all. Enjoy your Christmas. Take time to read Luke 2 and think about all the symbolism and simplicity of such an amazing story.
Con mucho amor,